Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Want to be appreciated? Be a volunteer!

Seems like everyone's looking for volunteers. I know God always is. And right now so am I. If you can work a garden hose, you can volunteer to help out in Iris Park! Because I work for myself and am dependent on God to send me appointments and/or appropriate outside-working weather, it's hard to say ahead of time when I'll be out there digging or weeding or watering. If you'd like to be added to my "to be called" list, simply comment to this post, and I'll let you know (when I know) what needs to be done.

One of my favorite things about being out in our beautiful Iris Park is that as time goes by, I've been able to identify different "volunteer" plants that are already established in that environment. The area surrounding Serenity Prayer Park (past the fountain and near the swing) was once the yards of two older ladies who obviously loved flowers as much as I do. Their porch foundations are still there. Unfortunately, many of their perennials were bulldozed rather than saved. Because our team has been very diligent at keeping the grounds mowed, some of the surviving "volunteers" had been mowed down and are just now starting to grow. We can appreciate their tenacity and perseverance, as well as their beauty.

This garden is not as easy to maintain as a home garden is, because no one is there everyday. So mostly I've endeavored to only have plants that don't need much human care and can cope with the conditions of heat and drought that we often experience in Pensacola. The volunteer plants have already proven their heat/cold hardiness.

I'm making plans right now to spend most of the day out there tomorrow (10-3, Wed., 5/18) because the weather man says that will be a cool, low-humidity day. In other words, perfect yardwork weather -- and probably the last of its kind for a while. I intend to get the donated plants in the ground (Easter lilies and blueberries), some more vincas planted (They love the heat!), and everything watered and mulched. (We could use more clean bagged leaves, but NOT live oak or magnolia leaves!) If you want to join me, come on! Volunteer! You will be very appreciated! My cell # is 850-375-0693.

3 comments:

  1. Katy, I think your article is great.
    Clear and friendly, too. Hope you get lots of volunteers or at least a couple of good ones.

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katy, you can put me on your to call list and I'll come to help whenever I can.
    Cindy Haber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katy, enjoyed your article....sounds like you when you're just having a conversation! Thanks for including me. Good luck with the volunteers!

    Love,
    Jan Gunther

    ReplyDelete