Thursday, August 20, 2009

Doesn't look much like a garden to me either!

I admit that I've been ignoring my child. Last Spring, I helped birth the Serenity Garden part of Iris Park. In case you've never been there, it's pretty much the area past the fountain, under the two huge live oak trees, way off to the right when you're walking from the church to the admin building. It's safe to say that it's definitely off the beaten path.

A small handful of church members spent many days digging, planting, watering, weeding, and mowing the area for several months. While the weather was welcoming, I worked out there many days until sunset, which was often awesome across our field. Serenity was a natural name for the flower garden area. One day, I even saw a double rainbow arching over the church building! It was an incredible work of art that only God could do! I took several pictures of it with my cell phone, and as soon as I can figure out how to transfer them to my computer, I'll email them out.

Alas, for the last few months it's been too hot to spend much time out there. Other things have captured our attention for now. The neglect is apparent -- the sunflowers have lost their color, with nothing left of them but bird seed. Some of the tender annuals have withered. At least I'm learning what not to even try to grow. No more impatiens! (Pun intended.) The survivors, and amazingly even some thrivors (is that a word?), have received what they need from the hand of God rather than from a human gardner.

But I know the weather will soon enough be cool and the outdoor work inviting. Again I'll be able to walk with the Lord in the cool of the day in a garden that we are co-creating. You know, my life is a lot like that little garden.

3 comments:

  1. Katy, I'm really enjoying your insights. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katy; I walk out there often and Serenity is an excellent name. Blessings, Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy it was a pure pleasure to help u out today and once all those weeds were gone I could really feel the serenity out there yet again. Thank you so much for all the obvious work you have put in to that for all of us. Tami

    ReplyDelete